Today, thanks to technologies like digital peepholes and Wi-Fi enabled doorbell cameras, you don’t need to make a wild dash to see who’s at the door whenever you have a visitor. Remote doorbell cameras enable you to see who is at the door through your smartphone. You can even see your visitor even if you are not at home. And the best part is that while you can talk to your visitor and they also talk back, they cannot see you.
When shopping for a video doorbell to your home, you will want to consider what your door answering needs are. If you only want to know who’s at the door while at home, a digital peephole will do just fine. But if you want to be notified when a person is at your front door even when you are away from home, you will need to install a Wi-Fi enabled video doorbell. These doorbells that are internet-connected enable you to see who’s out there, and can also capture and even store image videos of your visitors.
In this article, we tell you the best video doorbells, and what to consider when choosing one.
- 1 Types Of Doorbells
- 2 Features To Look Out For When Buying a Doorbell
- 3 Top 10 Wireless & Video Doorbells Reviews
- 4 Comparing Doorbells
- 5 Conclusion
Types Of Doorbells
With these video doorbells, you can speak to your visitor while answering the ring. The good thing with these video doorbells is that you can use them from just about anywhere in the world on your phone through applications like MyQ. Other options come with video door phone intercom system featuring two monitors. It literally means that you have a door bell and an intercom.
This video doorbell not only comes with a great camera but some of them even feature excellent night vision. This means that you are able to see clear images of people even in low light conditions. Therefore, you can see anybody at your door even at night. Therefore, if you want to closely monitor your home in low light conditions, you will find this a very important feature.
Wireless Doorbell System
This doorbell notifies you of any person that comes to your property. Every time a visitor sets foot on your compound, it sends you a notification on your smartphone. The notification light will also turn on if it detects a movement around your door. The visitor needs not necessarily ring the door for you to get a notification. This is a feature that many people really like.
Touch ScreenThese are models that feature touch mechanics and they are very easy to use. Rather than struggle to push a button when you want to answer a doorbell, you only touch on a button and that’s it. These models are also elegant-looking and can even blend perfectly with interiors.
These are DIY systems that won’t pose problems to you when installing. You can easily mount it and even install it. Some even come with whole package that lets you simply plug the bell in and they take care of the rest.
Features To Look Out For When Buying a Doorbell
Wired or Wireless?
When shopping for a video doorbell, the first thing you need to consider is whether you want a wired or a wireless option. Each option has its own pros and cons:
These connect the chime and button with wires. They tend to be generally less costly compared to wireless models. However, they tend to be harder to install. They are available in more styles and colors than the wireless ones and they also have superior sound quality.
Recently, the wireless doorbells have been growing in popularity and come in either electricity or battery-powered. If you are considering buying a wireless doorbell, you need to check range and ensure that it will work well in your home. Its functions can be hindered by several factors like the presence of multiple walls. These types of doorbells are portable and take a short time to install. Some of them even come with multiple chime options and allow the use of your favorite music as the chime.
Doorbells come in a slew of styles, colors and materials. Although the doorbell button is only a minor addition to the front door of your home, it is important that it reflects the style of your home since it is likely to be noticed by just about anyone coming into your home. Majority of doorbell buttons are easily screwed in and changing them if you want to upgrade your style is also pretty simple.
Also, doorbells come in various kinds of finishes. These finishes can be coordinated so that they match your doorbell button or even the interior of your home. If you buy a doorbell chime, check if it will need a transformer or not. Some chimes come with transformer in them while others require separately purchasing one.
Another very important feature of a doorbell is the tune quality. The main reason we buy a door bell is because we want it to alert us. It is therefore quite useless if it cannot alert you. Make sure that you check the sound quality of a doorbell before you buy one. It must have a good speaker that allows for a loud tune and also come with adjustable volume controls.
Wireless doorbells are powered with a battery. You need to ensure that the wireless doorbell uses a battery that is easily available in your locale. Also, some manufacturers will give you a battery backup of roughly 2 years while others offer 1 year. Know the kind of battery backup you will buy before buying.
Before buying a doorbell, you need to check if it comes with a warranty. If yes, check the duration. A longer warranty is much better.
Top 10 Wireless & Video Doorbells Reviews
This section discusses the best doorbell cameras. This is according to the strong customer reviews and the great features that they pack. They are not in any order.
Ring Video Doorbell Pro
The Ring Video Doorbell Pro is your perfect match for your home’s security if you are dreaming of smarter home that will give you a peace of mind. This doorbell is a unique and fabulous gadget for your home. This device will enable you see who is at your entrance. It helps me speak with my visitors even when I’m not around. Its motion and detection feature is the most striking because it notifies me when it detects any motion in that area.
- Easy to install. Installation can take approximately half an hour
- It enable you interact with your visitors from any location
- It comes with easy to read and understand installation guide
- It comes with an outstanding video quality with a very clear view during the day and night
- Its server cloud enables you to record video
- It has least flaws that can be ignored
- Its installation is not easy if you are a novice
- Its motion sensor does not send an accurate alert
This doorbell is the best for you if you want to secure your front door. It’s one of the finest products on the market. It comes with a variety of features and at a reasonable price. This doorbell is allows you to attend to your guest from any place if you are unable to get to the door. It works very well, so I recommend it over the other ordinary models as it’s the leading bang for bucks.
Ring Video Doorbell
The Ring Video Doorbell is like a prequel to The Ring Pro. It is also manufactured by the same company and is the version that preceded the Ring Pro.
It is Wi-Fi-enabled video doorbell that helps you monitor your front door right from your mobile device. It chimes on all the connected devices you have anytime there is a visitor at the front of your door.
Among the highlights of the Rind Doorbell is its ability to let you talk to your visitors before you open the door. Best of all, you can see them but they can’t see you back. Using your phone, you can see anybody stepping int your compound even from your work place.
- Installing it is a breeze since it comes with instructions to help you set it up.
- The HD video that Ring Video Doorbell features is crisp and very clear even in low light conditions.
- The optional cloud recording means that you can’t miss a single event. For a small fee, you can watch these footages instantly or even later.
- Battery life not as great as the manufacturer would have you believe
- Doesn’t have on-demand video• Audio quality could do with some improvement
Featuring interesting capabilities, the Ring Video doorbell offers great service for its price. It is aesthetically pleasing and also offers great performance. While certain areas like the audio quality could do with some improvement, there is no denying that it is a great piece of a gadget.
It has more features for less money with greater usability hassle and installation. This version has greatly improved reliability. The SkyBell HD allows you not only to see but also hear guests from your tablet or smartphone as they ring or approach your door. I love it because its on demand feature lets me monitor my front door.
- Good video quality
- Cheaper price
- It comes with 24 hour on demand video (not just when guest rings or approach your doorbell)
- Two colors to select from
- Easy to use app
- Don’t disturb mode that rings phone only
- No monthly charges for extra features
- Subpar customer service
- Only a single user per account (login must be shared to share video monitoring with the other housemates).
- Doesn’t have compatibility with T-mobile Samsung phones
This doorbell model has unique features has been mentioned. With its nest Integration, you can activate the user’s Nest Cam (or deactivate) from the SkyBell HD app as you talk to your guest.
August Doorbell Cam
August Doorbell Cam enables you see and speak with guests ringing your doorbell through tablet or smartphone irrespective of your location. This setup is fairly. You can have the unit up and running in not time. It comes with a wide angled camera that offers great view. When I tested it, it was crisp and very clean. The model is also night-vision enabled and will give you grey/green easy to make out night recording.Pros
- Perfect technical support
- Easy to install
- Crisp/video audio
- Great night vision
- Its motion detector is super sensitive
- Cloud feature needs a $3 monthly fee
This hardware looks great. It also functions as advertised. Its technical support is great and the initial installation is easy.
Jacobsen Jensen Wireless Doorbell
The Jacob Jensen Doorbell is beautiful and functional. This is the best non-video wireless doorbells .it has crystal clear notes, it’s very easy to set up, and it’s long lasting. In addition, it comes with a two year warranty.
- Easy to install
- Great design, modern doorbell
- Extensive range
- Two-year extended battery backup
- Multiple buttons and many receivers
- It can cost a lot more if you aren’t scouting for something too elegantIts volume adjustment is only between low, medium and high. When you need exactly a certain level, you may not get it easily. This may be vexing.
This unit rolls off the tongue and is also a trusted and established wireless door bell. Its first came into the market in 2008. It’s black and silver plastic maintains a modern style. The gadget also comes with an amazing ecosystem that enables you to pay several chimes and visual notifications.
- It comes with ED indicator on doorbell to show your guests that the doorbell has been pushed
- Superb sound quality, much better than the ordinary cheap rivals
- Great options that allows you to expand and customize systems additional bells and motion sensors
- Extraordinary built quality on both the doorbell and the chime unit with a perfect and still styling.
- It comes with well written instructions
- This unit is almost ten years old
- No pre-drilled holes for the screw
- The range of the doorbell can be seriously hampered by the metal doors
- Since the speaker is on the back of the chime, it may be a little muted
This modern looking ultra high-end unit offers sleek and award-winning design. It has improved and enhanced capabilities. Its major feature is the motion detection that makes the home more secure and convenient.
August Doorbell Cam
This doorbell comes with a HD camera and needs a Wi-Fi connection as well as a Bluetooth smart reader phone. It allows you to receive alerts as soon as your doorbell is rung or when motion is detected. The video and the audio of every visit is recorded. If used with the august smart lock, it allows you to remotely control and keep an eye on the status of your lock. The doorbell cam also connects the lock to the internet.
- Installing the cam is very easy, though it’s important to have your phone ready for the complete set of instructions found on august site.
- With original bell to the left of the door, I decided to use the wedge included, which angled the bell to any direction I wanted.
- Setting up the app is also very easy.
- It doesn’t deal very well with exposure. If its overcast for a long time, the camera exposes for brighter background, making the guest appears like silhouette.
- No recorded video clips or motion detector.
- The video playback doesn’t have landscape view
This gadget always allows you to know who is at the front door, even when you are far away from home. Through your smartphone, you can see and speak with your guests.
If you are scouting for a pocket friendly wireless connection with amazing features and incredible looks, Honeywell RDWL917AX2000/E is the way to go. This door bell is widely known across the globe and they are believed to be the best in the market.
- They are easy to use
- Modern design
- Can work with multiple push buttons, door contracts or motion detectors for improved security and convenience
- Some people think the design is old fashioned
- Some consumers have also complained about the instructions alleging that they are useless and a waste of time.
This doorbell model is trusted and is frequently purchased by numerous users. This is a great proof that the manufacturers Honeywell makes top quality wireless doorbells.
NuTone LA11WH Door Chime
The NuTone LA11WH Door Chime comes with plenty features that justifies the market price. The set comes with a single button (a single transmitter) and a receiver with a built-in strobe light as well as a light receiver. These two components have a white finish that exudes elegance in offices and homes.
- This unit is pretty easy to install because it neither needs wires nor expertise to make the components function
- The strobe too is a great inclusion if you’re holding parties, as the chimes will easily drown in the noise
- Its durability is problematic
- The chimes aren’t loud enough, though compensated by light flashes
Its white chime box comes with a built-in strobe light that flashes together with the ringing. This is especially important in houses with the hearing impaired members and the noisy environments. You have to connect it to an electrical outlet through a plug that features a socket, so it’s a power saver. The two components work within operating range of 300 feet. The volume too is adjustable.
SadoTech Model CXR Wireless Doorbell
The unit is manufactured using ABS-plastic and is available in different colors. It consists of a single push button and a single door chime box, which are light in weight and portable. The unit needs to be plugged into electric socket to be able to work.
- It offers great performance for homes and is touted to be the best intercom system for business
- The set up and installation is easy
- The unit is also stylish as compared to the other normal doorbells
- The several chime tunes is amazing and enable users to choose among the modern and traditional ones
- Interference is not good and it would last for just a short while
The gadget comes with over 50 different chime tunes to select from. This makes it amazing to customize. It is fitted with up to 4 levels adjustable volume control for your preference. It also comes with a flashing light indicator that signals the transmission from push button to chime box. This is significant in noisy environment when the sound disappears in the chaos. The members who are hearing impaired can also notice incessant blinking when the bell is being rung.
Ring vs Ring Pro
Ring Doorbell and Ring Pro are among the best video doorbell. But how do they compare? Which one is better than the other? In this article, we compare these two video doorbells and see how they hold up.
This is optional for both Ring Video and Ring Pro Video doorbell. Optional video recording captures every activity and stores the footage remotely in the cloud. You can then view this instantly or even later using Ring app. Cloud recording is however optional and is charged at $30 or $3 annually.
Both Ring and Ring Pro Doorbells feature motion sensing that triggers alerts through the smartphone when activity is detected without the visitor necessarily pressing the doorbell. You are able to request a live view of your front door when you receive an alert. Thanks to cloud recording, you cannot miss any activity that takes place in your front door.
Another area we can compare the Ring Doorbell vs. Ring Pro is with regard to dual power. Ring may be powered from the power of your existing doorbell or from a built-in rechargeable battery that it comes with. With Ring Pro, it has to be physically to the wires of your existing doorbell. It does not use any batteries.
- In the case of Ring, if you choose to use battery powering mode, installation is quite easy. Even if the wired option is your preferred one, installation is still simple. It comes with two transformers on mounting bracket which allow for easy connection to either mechanical or digital doorbell chime. The Ring Pro comes with all you require to install the machine on any surface in just minutes. This even includes a video containing installation instructions.
Note that if you choose the battery power method and the device does not get to be connected to the doorbell’s wires, then the existing chimes of the doorbell won’t ring in the house. You will only be alerted on your smartphone.
- In the case of Ring Pro, no battery is available and the device has to be connected to the preexisting hardwired doorbell. Here also, the device is packed with all that you need to install it on any surface in minutes.
Color• The Ring Video Doorbell comes in a variety of colors that include Venetian Bronze, Antique Brass, Polished Brass and Satin Nickel.
- Ring Pro comes with 4 interchangeable faceplates which are part of your purchase. You may choose between Venetian, Satin Nickel, Satin Black and Pearl White to match your home’s décor.
Both the Ring and Ring Pro Doorbells come with a warranty of 1 year. Additionally, both these devices offer protection against theft. In case your doorbell is stolen, the company will replace it for you for free. You only need to provide convincing evidence that indeed someone stole it.
Skybell HD vs Ring Pro
Skybell HD vs Ring Doorbell Pro are some of the finest video doorbells in the market. They have unique features that make them stand out from the competition. In this section, we give you a like-for-like comparison between the two of them. I have used both of them. While comparing them, I will look at important parameters like audio and video quality, installation, night vision and motion detection among other things.
- Ring Pro has a smaller design and features 4 interchangeable color panels. This enables you to match the doorbell color to that of your door.
- Skybell HD has the same silver metallic design just like previous generations and of Skybell V2 AND Skybell.
- Ring Pro features advanced power kit that helps you connect to either existing doorbell wires or the external 16-24VAC transformer. The power kit helps you stabilize power right from source and ensure that the doorbell gets the power it requires exactly.
- Skybell HD also requires being connected to either an external power source of an existing doorbell. However, if you want to want to connect using an external source, you will need a resistor or diode which is available separately.
When comparing Ring vs Skybell HD, it is also worth talking about audio quality. This is how the two fare:Ring Pro features excellent sound quality. It almost doesn’t have sound delay. The audio quality is up there with the best.Skybell HD, on the other hand, has a sound delay of roughly 1 second but its overall sound quality is great.
- Ring Pro Doorbell features a 720p camera but which is not full HD, but not quite good enough to clearly see who is by your door. Surprisingly however, it has high brightness and great viewing angles.
- Skybell HD features a 1080p camera and boasts of about the nest video quality. It also has great viewing angles.
Detecting feature notifies you of animals or people that come close to your door. • Ring Pro features advanced motion detecting feature that allows you to set up the area to track. It has a superior interface which enables you to set up multiple locations to track.
Skybell also features motion detection functionality, and it enables you to set up sensitivity which triggers 5-10 feet from doorbell.
Both the Ring Pro and Skybell HD support live view. As expected, the livestream isn’t perfect, with each having its own issues.From my experience, I can say that Skybell HD has the fastest live stream with smallest delay. Ring Pro isn’t far behind either, and has a delay 0.1-1 second.
- Ring Doorbell Pro features infrared LED vision. While you won’t be able to see everything in colors, the picture is clearer than Ring Doorbell.
- Skybell HD has clear and colorful nighttime pictures and this is because of the bright LED light. It also has another LED light around push button which helps deliver clear video even under limited light conditions.
Ring Pro vs August Doorbell
The Ring Pro sports a smaller design that comes with 4 interchangeable faceplates. With these, you are able to choose a doorbell color that matches that of your home.
As for August doorbell, it feels heavier and more solid which gives it the feel of a more expansive device. There are a couple of colors you can choose from. There is even a metallic color that matches your doorbell colors.
Ring Pro features advanced power kit which you use to connect the 16-24VAC transformer or the existing doorbells wires. The work of the power kit that it comes with is to help stabilize power from source and ensure that your doorbell is supplied with the exact amount of power it requires.
With August Doorbell, you do not require resistors or diodes since you either have the device connected to existing doorbell wires or even the external 16-24VAC transformer.
With regard to Video quality, Ring Pro tops August Doorbell. Although it has smaller viewing angles, it offers a superior 1080p video quality. This is compared to the 960p offered by August Doorbell Cam which also has among the worst view angle.
The Ring Pro features an advanced motion detection feature which also allows you to set the specific areas you would want tracked. In addition, the Ring Pro boasts a superior interface in which to set up multiple locations to be tracked.
The August Doorbell cam, on the other hand, features a metal detector sensor although at the moment the app does not support it. But word from the company is that this is something being worked on and soon, it will be available to users.
The Ring Pro comes with infrared LED vision. While you will not be able to see everything in color, the picture is quite clear.
August Doorbell Cam does not have any infrared or night light vision. Its performance at night isn’t that great. You won’t see much in the absence of light. It works great if you have external light which triggers the alarm when the doorbell button is pressed.
When it comes to audio quality, Ring Pro performs exceptionally well. It almost doesn’t have any sound delay and its audio quality is also excellent.
August Cam doesn’t perform particularly well in this area. It has a sound delay of 1-2 seconds which is quite significant when communicating with your visitor. However, it has an overall good sound quality.
Both the Ring Pro and August Doorbell Cam both sport interesting features that allow you to see and communicate with a visitor on your front door even if you are not at home. Also, both of them have motion detection feature which basically mean that you will be notified of any movement in your compound even without the visitor actually physically pressing the button.
However, Ring Pro just about comes top especially in video quality and night vision. It has infrared LED while the August Cam has none. In the Ring Pro vs. August Door Cam comparison, I would go for the former.
A doorbell is one of the smart home automation products that are taking traction today. Through them, you can see who is out at your door and talk to them and even have them respond back. And the best part is that you need not necessarily be at home to do this. You can answer your visitor from wherever you are. All you need is internet connection.
Another great feature of these of best smart doorbells the motion detection feature. This simply means that the doorbell will detect any motion and send you a notification on your phone without the person actually pressing the door. Therefore, you will have known of your visitor or any other person and see them even before they make a move. The above are the wireless doorbells you can find in the market.